Sunday, May 10, 2009

My Mother

It's Mothers' Day, and I can't help but think of my own mother, now in heaven for the past 7 years. What a glorious time she must be having! I like to think of her watching her children, grandchildren and great grandchildren, and being proud of them all. That was what she was like, an always encouraging, positive, and loving person.

This photo was probably taken in 1931 when she was around 18 years old. She had freckled skin and red hair, not unlike one of her granddaughters and a great granddaughter!

I'm proud of her, too, because in a day when few women went to college, she completed her studies at the University of California at Berkeley, and at San Francisco State College. She went on to become a school teacher, first in California and later in Washington. In between, she spent 19 years as a social worker in Washington. My mother's life was not easy, but she worked hard, took her daughters to church faithfully, and was always optimistic, kind, loving, and had a servant's heart. She had a great zest for travel, instilling that love in at least one of her daughters, me! I think of her often as we travel, knowing she would love to be doing the same, and can, I'm sure, from her vantage point. God bless all mothers this day, and always!

No comments: