Monday, October 27, 2008

Cold Weather!

Winter in the Black Hills can be very cold and stormy, we're finding out! It is beautiful, too. Yesterday there was an inch of snow, which is not bad, but there was wind gusting up to 55 mph and a 20 degree temperature, too. That's more difficult to deal with, especially since we have to be out in it, feeding the animals and going between buildings. We've had a mild sampling of what it will be as we get deeply into winter.

Here is a striking sunset outside our 5th wheel back window. I caught the reflection in a large mud puddle nearby.

This is our 5th wheel decked out with hay bales to protect against the wind which comes from the west mostly. It really works! We will have to guard against mice, who love the hay, but the wind is much more bothersome to contend with. We watched leaves and other debris being fiercely blown to the east and almost felt like our "house" was going to go along, too!

1 comment:

Melonie said...

I love the sunset picture! Truly beautiful. That's interesting about the hay bales, too! I have felt like complaining about the "cold" weather we've had here for the past two days (having to wear a jacket or thick sweatshirt outside, and this morning I even had to - *gasp* - turn on the heater for the first time this fall!). But I guess I'll hold off on my complaining after reading your post!

I am so thankful that the Lord has given me the privilege of staying in touch with you after all these years. You are a woman of wisdom, and I appreciate your willingness to share it. The things you say are very interesting to me, and so thought-provoking. I don't think I've told you this, but I've now read all your writings on the Threads of Light page. So to make a long story short(er), I have been encouraged and strengthened by your testimonies and by the insights you've received from the Lord. I am praying for you and Keith, as you go about your work.